Castor oil has been shown to have many health benefits.
When used externally on the skin, it will:
- Increase blood and lymphatic circulation
- Stimulate the immune system with short-term increase of white blood cell production
- Improve healing of tissues and organs
- Improve digestion and elimination, can be a great help for constipation
- Stimulate liver function
- Reduce swelling in injured joints and extremities
- Decrease menstrual cramps when used throughout the month (not during menstruation)
- Improve oxygenation and nutrient delivery to local organs and tissues
What you need:
- Castor Oil (ideally organic and in a glass bottle)
- White (un-dyed) cotton flannel cloth, large enough to cover the desired area
- Plastic wrap (or plastic bag), large enough to cover the flannel cloth
- Hot water bottle or heated bean bag
- Container with a lid for storage
- Place the flannel in the container
- Pour the castor oil over the cloth until it is well saturated but not dripping
- Place soaked cloth over desired area (usually over abdomen, including over the liver). A fun description is the expression “from boobs to pubes” J
[Alternatively, a simpler method involves spreading oil over desired area and covering with material]
- Cover with plastic (mostly for hygienic purposes)
- Place the hot water bottle or heated bean bag over the plastic
- We suggest covering with a towel or old blanket to help insulate the heat
- Sit back and relax while the pack is in place: 30-45 minutes
- Remove the pack and, if necessary, cleanse area with water or with water and baking soda.
- Store flannel in the container in the fridge. The same cloth may be reused up to 15-20 times.
It is best to do castor oil packs in a series of three to five days and then stop for several days. This cycle can be repeated as often as required. We often suggest doing the packs on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and then stop from Monday to Thursday.
* Castor oil should not be taken internally, applied to broken skin or used over the abdomen during pregnancy or menstruation. *